Friday, March 18, 2016

#ESafety - What are your thoughts?


By: Kirsten

Windows ‘94 was my first ever internet experience. The only things that good old computer was used for was Neopets, Pinball, Microsoft Word, and other online gaming. Next up was Piczo, which became popular when I was in 7th to 8th Grade. It was first experience with “blogging”. Though these accounts have not been used for years, I know they still exist and they are somewhere in the internet. Lucky for me, these accounts cannot be seen when I google myself. Same with my Tumblr account, which was created in High school.

The scary part for me is that, though I may be unable to access these accounts -due to forgotten passwords and emails, they still exist. And they will always exist. They will always be part of my Digital footprint.

It doesn’t matter if you’re using the “incognito mode” or you are on secured connections, every information that you input online will always be tracked.

Privacy mode does not always mean private either. These can also be tracked down by hackers or by people in control of the websites. During High school, my mother would always tell me to be careful with what I put on the internet since employers are looking at your profiles. This did not affect me UNTIL I got to college. I started to think more about my future and it hit me.. “Would I hire myself if I see the things that I have posted online?” The answer was easy, NO. A teenage girl who whines a lot about how hard life is, is not so suitable for a lot of companies.

So yes, we must always be aware with how we use the internet and what we put in it. Whether it’s a simple “Selfie” on instagram or your credit card information during your online shopping, these will always exist, and you will never know who will able to access these.

No comments:

Post a Comment